CfMRF... is sleeping...

Champignons for My Real Friends... has ended.

Please find the sequel at Ringo Stalin's Curios (and other oddities).

Much obliged.

- Ringo Stalin

Sunday, April 20, 2008

There Was No Moon But The Stars Were Bright

This entry is primarily for the benefit of a chap named Nick who tends bar at one of my favourite drinking holes, Supermild*. I was there the other evening, and Nick was putting on some great tracks for the early crowd, like Squirrel Nut Zippers and Tom Waits and there was some Elvis in there too. I generally don't request songs very often, because most of the time I when I ask, I get a blank stare in return. Also, I know how irritating it can be: I used to "DJ"** at a nightclub many moons ago, and also hosted my own radio show for a time, and people would request the strangest things that were never in the same vein as what I was playing.

But I digress. I requested 'Crawfish', by Elvis Presley, which is such a damn fine song, and it actually changed my mind about Mr Presley. I'd initially dismissed a lot of his work, as most people do, without really hearing anything other than Viva Las Vegas or Suspicious Minds or Hound Dog.

I'd done the same with his film work, too, until my significant other bought King Creole and told me I should watch it. The fact that Carolyn Jones, aka Morticia Addams, is in it helped, too.

I've digressed again. Anyway, the point is: Nick didn't have it. I said I'd help him out. So here it is.

Crawfish - Elvis Presley

And this version rules too:

Crawfish - Patti Palladin & Johnny Thunders

- Ringo

*If you're in Supermild, and you're just not feeling 100%, may I recommend the Cucumber Sandwich cocktail? Sour Apple Schnapps, Pimms (I love Pimms) and ginger ale. It's like an olde timey revitalising tonic! That stuff is amazing!

** And when I say "DJ", I mean I simply put CDs in the player and played the songs. No beat-mixing or fancy business.

1 comment:

Professor Booty said...

Love the Elvis song, but I'd never heard that cover. Thanks for the new tune!

We're headed your way tomorrow...